CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Welcome!

...sharing strategies for teaching second graders...

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Daily 5, setting goals...

Didn't I read in the Daily 5 that children need a sense of urgency and they need to know where they are in order to develop a sense of urgency? Did I dream that one? 

Anywho...today I was telling my students that my teamie's class always has more students who earn 100 points each on AR than my class and since AR is a big thing at our school (yeah, I know...sometimes it's overkill and leads to extrinsic motivation) I wrote a sentence on the board for the children to use to write in their journals. "I would like plan to earn _______ points each week. I would like plan to earn _______ points this year." I pointed out to my students that they need to do more than "hope" or "like" or "love" something. We need to plan so we'll be successful. I said if you fail to plan, you plan to fail but I think that went right over their heads. Of course, right now we're discussing I PICK, good fit books, and practicing reading to self correctly.

I think someone at my school did Daily 5 last year because some of my students seem to be old hat at D5. I wonder....

Anyway, Day 3 is a wrap and it was a wonderful day! :)

†~Melly~†

1 comment:

  1. I am reading The End of Molasses Classes by Ron Clark and one thing he keeps saying is that we need to teach kids to just MAKE IT HAPPEN. He's a bit out there and a lot of the stuff he does probably wouldn't fly elsewhere but the ideas are there and I am definitely going to try to pass along that good attitude to my kids about hard work and PLANNING to succeed.

    ReplyDelete